Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stranger things have happened?

The post below is one that I started around 1:30 this afternoon. It was the 2nd attempt at making a post. The post you are reading is actually my 3rd attempt at posting today. Why you ask? Well, let me tell you a story...

I began a post about the weekend, and then my computer shut down. All by itself, it just shut down. How? Well, when we tried rebooting it there were some weird musical sounds and it said the processor was having a "thermal event". What is that you ask? Well, after consulting the techie hubby, we realized it was probably due to a mass of cat fur that tends to fly around the house (having 2 fuzzballs) and so we opened the computer up and sure enough, there was some cat fur in the fan and in the case. So, we pulled out the can of air and sprayed the fan, pulled out the fuzz, and cooled the processor. Then I restarted the computer, which worked great, and then began once again typing my blog. The post immediately below this one is said post from about 1:45 or so...

As I was working on this post, I was thinking and talking about Flexibility (and now dear reader, go read said post below this post in order to get the full irony of what is about to happen).

Go on... I will wait...



...


...




Ok, now that you have read the post BELOW this one, I will continue...

I was looking for a fun clip to rant about and post and I found a delicious clip on youtube about Chocolate Coffee Marinade for Steaks... Talk about greatness, combining 3 of my favorite foods into one, and grilling it over a BBQ. Fabulous.



Just as I was thinking about "flexibility" and my classes upcoming for the week, and the yumminess of said Chocolate Coffee Steak, my computer once again experienced a "thermal event".
And died.
Totally.
Ka Put.

And so, the hubby and I had to become FLEXIBLE. I mean, what is a teacher these days without a computer of her own to work on? I plan, I email, I IM, I draw up lesson plans and worksheets and activities and search for resources and ... the list goes on and on. So here's where the flexibility comes in. I have long been drooling over a Mac Air. Like so.



For me its a perfect fit. Its small and sexy. I have had the big clunky laptops, and while they are totally functional I eventually get sick of lugging a huge bag around on top of whatever else I have for school with the laptop and various accessories etc. The smaller, the better for me. As for the performance, I'm not a heavy user in terms of high performance graphics (if I was ever to pick up a game seriously again I'd definately go with a desktop to game, not laptop, so thats not an issue) and what I really need it for is for work, and multimedia. I love my iTunes and my photos and my iPod, and I like to surf for internet videos (youtube etc), but otherwise I'm a pretty basic user. Word processing, email, web (blogging, reading, researching), and the odd flash game that catches my fancy, but otherwise thats it.
Pretty simple eh? So the Air appealed to me ever since I saw it on TV.
The Air doesnt have a DVD player, but honestly I can't remember the last time I ran a DVD on my computer. I don't burn disks as I live on my USB key for work. If I'm taking a bunch of pictures to Walmart to print, I have a flash card and a USB that are quicker to access and bigger than a CD and frankly I don't print enough pictures to warrant a DVD!
We have an external USB DVD burner that hubby carries place to place when needed so I have that at my disposal if I ever needed said burner. Combined, we have several external harddrives for backup and music sharing, so disk space isn't an issue.

I drooled over the Air when I saw it advertised, and I'm drooling over it sitting on my desk.
My small functional and sleek laptop is perfect for me. Plus, if I havent mentioned this already, its pretty damn sexy. You gotta see this thing in person to appreciate how sexy it really is. Plus the keys glow! And the mouse is wireless and doesnt need a big usb thing to communicate with. (gotta love Bluetooth!)

Fortunately, Hubby thinks he can recover the data from my Harddrive so I wont lose all my files from the beast. It was so old, I think its time to put it to a peaceful death. Rest in peace old desktop, I knew thee well.

Bring on a breath of fresh Air.

1 comment:

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Hot computer! That was a sweet Apple store trip! How's the other toy working out? Jealous!