
For 3 years I have been in the teaching profession and for 3 years I have begun to recognize and analyze a trend... the problem now is how to utilize this trend to my advantage. The trend is the moon phases and the affects it has on children and teenagers. (Yes, I realize I will start to sound like an old witch who should be standing over her cauldron chanting "Double Double Toil and Trouble").
For many years I have spent my days with students who are extremely "active" or "jubliant" or "wild and rangy", etc etc. That's not to say that the kids are "bad", rather some of them have been brilliant at times. But alas, hormones always seem to kick in. And for some reason I have yet to determine, the week around the full moon is always the worst for behavior and rudeness and kids sent to the office. For many, this is a time when they seem to lose control of themselves and forget that they are in fact human beings who can think, reason, act and behave. For the few days leading up to and after the full moon, said "children" become beings who forget what manners and respect are, and become totally self indulgent (yes, even MORE so than they normally are, if you can possibly believe that). All reason and logic flee said individuals, leaving teachers in a frustrating state of insanity and at a loss as to why seemingly normal students have lost all ability to think and reason.
And then this teacher went home and complained to her significant other about said students. Said Significant other then opened up google and said "Oh look, a full moon" ... And lo, the heavens opened and the light of knowledge shone down upon me and I said "That explains EVERYTHING".
So there it is. The Cycle begins again. When another full moon comes upon us and I am caught unawares again, I hope to have hubby to remind me of the madness that will ensue in the school for a few days before returning to normal.
Which leads me to my dilemma that brought this rant up in the first place... How do I deal with such knowledge? How do I harness the power that a full moon has and a) remind myself ahead of time to expect Dr. Jekyll instead of Mr Hyde, and b) prepare myself for the the inevitable outcome of insanity for a few days? Add to this the fact that the holidays are a week away and they are hyper with the prospect of the myriad of gifts that are forthcoming (spoiled brats that we raise in society today). This all equals a double trouble for teachers.
What is the answer? Is the answer in the all mighty movie day? Should I plan ahead and show movies on days of the full moon? Or just continue on as usual? Continuing doesn't seem to work without causing stress and frustration on my part. For now, I'll just rely on the fact that there 6 days left of school and then a 2 week break that is much needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment